Friday, May 13, 2011

It's almost funny... almost

With the exception of once right after Madeleine was born my "pain attacks" began in the last month of my pregnancy with Juliette. I would wake up late at night with stabbing pains right between my belly and ribs that would spread throughout my back and chest. I went to the hospital a few times but they always told me it was gas and sent me home. Now I'm not sure why gas would give me that much pain but I took their word for it and cut all spicy foods out of my diet.

In the past month the attacks began to pick up in intensity and frequency but I refused to go back to the hospital because I was sure it was "gas" and I was usually alone with the kids when they would happen. Finally on Tuesday night I called my mom because it was happening again. She asked me what I had eaten for dinner, I told her chicken with gravy, and a light went off in her head. She said I needed to have them check my gallbladder.

Now, I may be an idiot but because I have had kidney stones in the past I just brushed the suggestion off because I figured it would be almost the same thing. But an hour later I could barely breathe and was sobbing on the couch when Kyle forced me to call the doctors and the four of us took off to the doctors.

It was two hours of, "What number are you on the pain scale?" (I never know... I mean I'm crying and the only face crying is ten but I've been in worse pain so... an eight or nine?) and blood pressures and heart monitors and finally vicodin bliss when they decided to do an ultrasound on my gallbladder. Because I told them my mom said to.

"Where does it hurt?"
I point.
"That's where your gallbladder is!"
I think, "Why couldn't they have told me that BACK IN OCTOBER."

The doctor puts the ultrasound thingy on my belly and literally starts going, "Oh WOW! Look at all those gallstones. There's a huge one! And there's a whole CLUSTER OF THEM! This is just GREAT! No wonder you've been in so much pain. You really need to get your gallbladder taken out. Did you know this happens a lot with women who have been pregnant recently?"

And by this point I am wondering what the doctors I saw up until this point were on.

So I had a surgical consult today at UMASS General in Boston and am scheduled for surgery on the 29th of June because I have NO TIME before then. Which means my trip to Houston and New Orleans will be filled with bland food. I mean, what is even the point of Texas and Louisiana without GREAT FOOD?

To be honest I'm just glad they finally figured out what was wrong. It's wonderful that after a simple surgery I'll be able to go back to life as normal. A lot of people don't have such easy fixes. And until then it is something to offer up for those people with illness that don't have a cure. I am one of the lucky ones.

Please pray that I can ward off the attacks until the surgery and for a quick recovery following. My priority is to be better for my babies as soon as possible. It scares Madeleine to see me sick so I want to be as cheerful as possible for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment