Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11- 10 years later






I don't want to write about where I was or what I remember. That day is still far too painful. Today is the ten year anniversary of the terrorist attacks to September 11th, 2001. It was a day that changed me and changed my world forever. I've tried watching the footage but I have to turn it off. I don't need it anyway to remember. The images of that day are burned into my brain. Ten years later I remember every detail.

Today I am remembering the the victims, their families, the heros of the FDNY and NYPD, the military, the survivors, the flight crews and passengers, the politicians like George W Bush who encouraged us to stay strong and united as a country, and all the people who lost their sense of security that day. My husband works at Boston Logan where two of the flights departed from and I had a hard time letting him go to work today.

Life is fragile and I can't spend too much time today dwelling on that day because I have two beautiful daughters and a wonderful husband that need me to live in the present. Their innocence hasn't yet been tarnished and for them I need to focus on celebrating life and enjoying each moment I have with them. If that day proved anything to me it was that life is unpredictable. It also proved that people are capable of great evil and great good. The greatest good I can do today is to love my husband and children for all the people who lost their family and wish that they could be loving them right now as well.

The images above are from the gate that American Airlines flight 11 took off from. The flag is flown at half mast every year in tribute to those people who lost their lives. The flag remains there all year as a reminder as well.

The other image is of a memorial near the Catholic church in our town. There is a flag for each person who lost their life that day. It's overwhelming to behold.

Eternal rest grant unto them o Lord and may the souls of the faithfully departed by the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment