Saturday, September 15, 2012

With her sassy pants on

When today started off I honestly should have known that it would be one of those days...

I woke up after having gotten maybe five hours of sleep and was immediately thrown into the impossible task of waking up the sleeping beasts. At night, when they are all sweet and innocent they are my sleeping beauties. Morning... beasts. Just like mommy.

But we had ballet and Madeleine had to wear clothes and she did NOT want to wake up and she did NOT want to wear clothes and she did NOT want to leave the house. Somehow though the three of us made it out and over the ballet studio. Late. Of course.

Although she spent the first ten minutes attached to my leg, everything changed when the teacher brought out magic wands for the girls to dance with. Suddenly Madeleine was transformed from shy three year old to graceful princess... at least in her own mind. After that she was front and center, attentive, while her sister looked on, swept up and filled with the same awe I felt the first time I went to the Nutcracker.

We left after it was all finished, twirling through the hallways and out to the car. And then it all just fell apart. All of us overtired, two thirds of us tired, and one third of us... wearing sassy pants.

I want to know WHO EXACTLY bought Madeleine her own super special pair of sassy pants recently because hooooooo boy has she been strutting around in them. 

These are two of the conversations we had today:

Madeleine- Mommy, I want some ice cream.
Me- No Madeleine, we are not having ice cream right now.
Madeleine- Well that is a bad choice.

Me- Madeleine, it is time for prayers.
Madeleine- First we will do prayers, then I will get medicine.
Me- No, you do not need medicine. You are not sick.
Madeleine- Those are my rules.

I mean REALLY. I thought kids were supposed to at least hit puberty before they became teenagers.

But seriously, usually Madeleine is a really sweet kid. Today was a hard day.

And she was not the only Behr baby to be put in the corner. "Nobody puts baby in the corner!" Think again. My twenty-one month old is well aquainted with it. My favorite story of Juliette today was when Madeleine was quietly constructing a house out of boxes. Juliette came over and Madeleine begged her not to touch it. She pushed it over and then, laughing hysterically, grabbed three out of five boxes Madeleine was using and took off running. Madeleine chased her, crying. Juliette sped up laughing.

It was one of those days.

My favorite memory, the one that will make me miss the sleeping beauties tonight, was after their nap when we were all curled up on the couch together. Madeleine on my lap, Juliette under my arm. We were all just staring at each other and talking and laughing and it was warm and sweet and perfect.

Hopefully tomorrow we will all be a bit more well rested and Madeleine's sassy pants will be folded away in her drawer.

And hopefully I will be able to figure out a way to post the video of Juliette singing "Elmo's World." Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment