Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Day for the Mommaz

I can't even begin to explain how much it annoys me when people ask the question, "So do you just stay home with the kids or do you work." As if staying home with the kids isn't work? There is no more demanding a job out there, except for probably that of the parish priest. Motherhood is an exhausting 24 hour VOCATION. We have no days off, we are constantly on call, and we always have to be on top of our game. It is also more rewarding than I could ever put into words but kids. are. work.

So the day I value more than my own birthday or even my anniversary is Mother's Day. I'm not a mother because I want people to tell me how awesome I am but I love that there is one day a year completely devoted to honoring us for all we do all year round. Being a mother is the thing I am most proud of and it is what Kyle is most proud of me for. I love when he calls me beautiful, I love when he tells me I am a great wife or I'm a great cook, but the compliment I cherish the most is when he tells me I am a great mother. Raising our children well is the biggest way I can honor him so I love that he recognizes it.

Since being a mom I've learned to step up my game for my own mom. I've begin to see just how much of herself she sacrifices for all of us, even those who have left the nest, and so I want to show her just how much I love her and how much I appreciate all she has given me. My mom is an amazing woman and without her example, I wouldn't be half the mom I am to my own kids. Her influence has been invaluable and so I want to be the same for my daughters.

The day was simple, time with my parents, sisters, daughters, and husband, but it was perfect. When Kyle met us after work he brought my mom and I each a single red rose but then when I got home, there was a whole bouquet of tulips waiting for me. We don't have money for expensive gifts but even if we had I couldn't have wanted anything else more. It was perfect because Kyle knows how much I love receiving flowers and he, on his own accord, sought out the prettiest ones he could find to surprise me with. And he honored my mother too. What a blessing he is! He says he is sending me for a mani/pedi next week too which, once again, is a treat he knows I never give myself but always crave.

I'm not a mom for a pat on the back or a "job well done" but the week the stress of being sick, and both babies being super needy had really gotten me down. I feel like this gave me new life tonight and really restored my faith in myself. It's so amazing to take a step back and look at how much my husband and children adore me. I never imagined I could be loved so much. I live for giving myself to them but today it was nice to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment