Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Writing and moonlighting

This has been one of those weeks! I'll tell you my friends, I am exhausted! Kyle has had overnight training shifts at the airport for the past two nights in a row which means I, as well, have been logging in overtime hours. But instead of big airplanes I have two angelic little girls so I can't really feel bad for myself at all.

Tonight I was feeling particularly zonked so I allowed Madeleine to stay up extra late and watch some TV with me... mostly because I didn't want to have to wrestle her into her crib but also because she just felt so warm tucked under my arm and snuggling her is so very delightful.

Currently the bed is piled high with clean laundry just asking to be hung but instead I am here blogging. I really don't want to do the laundry so tonight I'm just gonna ignore that it exists. If, later, I stumble to bed and it hasn't magically sorted itself I'll throw it all on the dresser. Problem solved.

I'm not entirely sure what this blog post is about, I only know that I felt like writing. This blog has been a fantastic outlet for me to write about day to day life and stay connected with my family and friends. Even though it started as a place for me to record stories about the girls to embarrass them with in the future it has turned into something I am proud of and that I enjoy doing. Writing has always been a passion of mine and although I don't feel called or skilled enough to write an elaborate novel, a simple day to day journal is the perfect thing to satisfy my craving to "put pen to paper" so to speak.

One of my greatest literary inspirations was my high school English teacher, John Stanizzi. He was the first person to tell me that I had any kind of discernible skill and really took it upon himself to encourage and challenge me. He is a brilliant poet and a kind mentor. He was my dad away from home during high school and as much as he respected me as a student he cared for me as a person, he cared for all of his students. I believe that that is the mark of a great teacher.

Now when I write I don't always pay attention to grammar or spelling as much as I do what is in my heart. That was something he taught me as well. He knew that in order to be a great writer you had to write from your heart and use the voice that God gave you. Grammar and spelling were always secondary to that. Now, I don't consider myself a great writer but I know that because of him I will always be someone who writes from their heart.

Anyway, enough of my exhausted ramblings. I'm going to drink some tea and settle down with some CSI (again) before I call it a night. I'm hoping Kyle will be home by one in the morning and I would really like to go to bed at the same time as him for once. It is a luxury we are rarely able to enjoy. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment